This article is intended for customers who currently have an AnyTrack - Google Analytics (UA) integration and wish to migrate their current integration to Google Analytics (GA4).
At the end of the migration you should start seeing your conversion data in GA4.
- AnyTrack's core feature is to send your conversion data to Google Analytics (UA & GA4)
- AnyTrack does not store your Google Analytics Data.
- AnyTrack cannot "migrate" your UA data to GA4 servers.
- AnyTrack's job is to guarantee that your live conversion data is being sent to GA4 and that you can keep using the same conversion Goals to measure and optimize your marketing campaigns.
AnyTrack & GA4 Integration
Anytrack integration approach is to map as many native metrics, dimensions and data points available in GA4, so you can use them across every Google platforms.
Following the migration, please take a moment to inspect GA4 data and let us know if you think that some of the data is missing or could be mapped differently.
Before you begin!
- Make sure you have an active GA4 property.
- You have Admin access to the GA4 property.
- Your GA4 Tracking Tag is set on your website with Google Tag Manager or the standard GTAG.
- ✅ = Automatic Setup via API
- 🔴 = Requires Manual update in GA4
- 🚫 = Feature Not available
- ⚙️ = Requires manual setup in Universal Analytics
|Google Analytics 4
|Events are automatically sent by AnyTrack and ingested by Google Analytics.
|You must mark the Events as Conversions in the GA4 Admin.
|AnyTrack events are automatically mapped to GA4 events.
gtag.js and sets the tag configurations.
|AnyTrack automatically set a
user_id in GA4.
|GA4 is preconfigured for eCommerce.
|GA4's built-in dataset is mapped by AnyTrack.
gtag.js can received enhanced conversions.
|GA4 accepts custom parameters create custom dimensions.parameters
|Can be activated from the AnyTrack dashboard.
Google provides an extensive set of tools to migrate your Universal Analytics to your GA4 property. You must follow Google instructions in order to guarantee a friction-free migration.
Google recommended migration tasks:
Good to remember
Most migration tasks are unrelated to the AnyTrack GA4 integration as they address standard data collection, settings and other configurations that let you use GA4. Read more here.
- The 🎉 Tasks relate to AnyTrack setup.
- Google Ads: If you use GA4 data in Google Ads all tasks are required and done in Google.
|In GA4 Admin
|Create a GA4 Property
|Import UA Conversion Goals
|Enable the option
|Automatic Event detection & Mapping
|🎉 AutoTrack GA4
|Recommended to bid on custom audiences.
|Mark Events as Conversions
|Select and mark events sent by AnyTrack as Conversions.
|Link Google Ads
|Bid on GA4 Conversions in Google Ads
|Bid on GA4 Audiences in Google Ads
|Required If you want to import data from UA to GA4.
|Link to BigQuery
|Required if you want to build custom datasets or blend datasets in BigQuery.
|Set up User ID
user_id to GA4.
|🎉 Automatic Setup
|Use the Measurement Protocol
|API used to send Server-Side events to GA4.
|🎉 Automatic Setup
Once you've gone through all required steps, please follow these instructions
- Navigate to the Tracking Pixel panel and click on the GA4 Card.
- Click on the Connect Button to start authenticating with Google Analytics.
- Select the Google Analytics Account, Property and Stream.
- Enable the Conversion API.
- Update the Event Mapping if needed. (you will want to use the same mapping that you currently have in your UA integration).
- Scroll down and Save
Once the events start flowing between AnyTrack and GA4 follow these steps to mark events as Conversions.
- Navigate to Admin > Events.
- Mark the Events you want to track as Conversions.
The Purchase event is set by default as a Conversion. Therefore, if you are currently tracking purchases in AnyTrack they will show up in your GA4 account.
- Link your Google Ads Account.
Good to know
It might take a few hours until conversions show up in the GA4.
To validate your integration, you can use the GA4 Debugger feature which enables you to inspect live event data received by GA4.
Please follow these steps to validate your integration:
- Install the Google Analytics Extension.
- Open the AnyTrack GA4 integration page and "enable" the Debugger mode.
- In GA4, navigate to GA4 Admin > Debugger screen.
- Open a new browser window, visit your website and turn on the Google Analytics Extension.
- Visit your website and trigger some events.
Watch the GA4 - Anytrack Integration validation.
Once your conversions show up in GA4, you can open your Google Ads account and import your GA4 conversions.
Good to know
Google provides an extensive guide to connect your GA4 account into Google Ads.
- Import Conversions
- Configure Conversions
- Enable Auto-Tag (it should be enabled by default)
- Add the recommended UTM Tracking Template
- Navigate to the Conversion settings
- Create a Conversion.
- Select Import from GA4.
- Select the Conversions you want to import.
- Import the Conversions.
- Now edit each Conversion according to your business needs.
The first conversions will show up after a few hours.
- You might have to wait a few minutes before the conversions show up in Google Ads. Grab a ☕️ and come back.
- Verify in GA4 that the events are marked as conversions.
Updated about 2 months ago